NAU-IHD-AzTAP AAC Evaluation and Training Program
Augmentative communication (AAC) devices offer a “voice” for individuals who cannot speak or speak clearly enough for other people to understand what they are saying. Some devices are simple with limited message choices, but many offer the potential for true communication independence. Determining the best device requires the expertise and experience of skilled clinicians who work in collaboration with the client, their family and other service providers.
Augmentative Communication Evaluation & Training Services:
As part of its Assistive Technology Services, IHD has been providing comprehensive augmentative communication evaluations to children and adults with complex communication needs for more than 15 years through its contract with the Arizona Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD)*. After the client receives his or her device, follow-up training will be provided when authorized by DDD.
Our Focus is on Excellence:
- Experienced Evaluation Teams: All of our evaluations are performed by an experienced team consisting of a Speech Language Pathologist and an Occupational or Physical Therapist.
- Community-Based Evaluations: Evaluations are typically done in the client’s community at a location agreeable to the family.
- Thorough Information Gathering: The team reviews detailed client information and seeks input from key persons in the client’s life to get a full picture of their communication needs and abilities.
- Hands–on Device Trials: Each evaluation includes hands-on trials with a range of state-of-the-art communication devices.
- A Feature Match Approach: To ensure that the client’s overall communication requirements are considered first, a device is selected based on how its features match the client’s identified needs.
- Comprehensive Reports: Our detailed reports explain what was recommended and why, and include suggestions and resources for training and follow-up.
For more information: Contact Debbie Mariage, Program Coordinator at 928.523.6759 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
*NAU requires an authorization from DDD for Augmentative Communication (AAC) Evaluations and Training before services can be provided for DDD clients. If you have a DDD eligible family member who is nonverbal and might benefit from an AAC device, please contact your Support Coordinator and request that they initiate the process for an AAC evaluation.
May 21, 2016 AAC Workshop Handouts:
- Intro to NAU AAC Eval & Training Program
- AAC Training Morning Slides 051816
- AAC Training Afternoon Slides 050516
- Saltillo-2016 3 19 Chat Family Revised
Forms & Worksheets:
- AAC Quarterly Training Report
- NAUAzTAP AAC Implementation Checklist 5-04-16
- NAUAzTAP Mounting Assessment Form 2016
- NAUAzTAP Mounting Safety Checklist 2016
AAC Product Information Pages By Company: